Oddity Central

Oddity Central


Guy Fakes His Own Death to Escape Getting Married

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 04:02 AM PDT

Men can be real jerks sometimes, but this guy has got to be the worst of the lot – he actually faked his own death to get out of his wedding. 23-year-old Tucker Blandford, from Connecticut, didn't have the guts to tell his fiancee the truth – that he wasn't ready for marriage – so he just led her to believe that he had died. When bride-to-be Alex Lanchester found out the truth, she was livid and heartbroken.

"He has shattered my trust and I'm not sure I'll ever be in a relationship again," said Alex, also 23. "All I ever did was love him. I'm so sick of being messed around and I'm glad to be rid of him. Looking back, maybe I was naive. But I really loved him and never thought he would go to such extreme measures to dump me. I've cried until I felt numb but now I'm just really angry."

So how exactly does one go about faking their own death? Well, conveniently for Tucker, Alex lives in another country, so he probably thought she wouldn't be able to verify his story. He simply called her one day, a week before he was due to visit her, and pretended to be his own dad. "I picked up my phone and there was a man saying he was Tucker's dad," said Alex.

faking-death

Cambodia’s Miracle-Performing Baby Draws Thousands of Sick Pilgrims

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 02:18 AM PDT

Kong Keng, a 2-year-old kid from Khnor village in Cambodia, is being hailed as a miracle baby with special healing powers. Thousands of people are traveling from as far as Laos and Vietnam, believing that even a glimpse of Kong will help cure them of their ailments. He appears to be the last ray of hope in a nation that doesn't exactly have the world's best healthcare system.

Hundreds of people throng outside Kong's single-room wooden home every single day. It's a motley crowd of handicapped people in wheelchairs, and ailing, dying patients on stretchers. Phat Soen, Kong's 21-year-old mother, brings the boy out and places a row of eucalyptus balm bottles in front of him. She then guides his hand over each bottle – his touch is believed to transfer healing powers to the balm.

The toddler's healing powers were discovered by an accidental healing 'miracle' that occurred a few months ago. "The miracle happened to my brother," said Sung Bahn, Kong's uncle. "He was paralyzed from the waist down after a motorcycle accident. Doctors couldn't cure him and neither could the Kru Khmers (traditional Cambodian healers)."

Kong-Keng-Cambodia

Man Plans to Live Alone on an Iceberg until It Melts

Posted: 21 Aug 2014 12:53 AM PDT

In a bid to get people to take climate change more seriously, Italian adventurer Alex Bellini is going to live on an iceberg until it melts. He plans to take on the challenge in the spring of 2015, on an iceberg in Greenland. He expects that he'll have to live there alone for at least eight to twelve months.

Alex, who is now based in the UK, plans to live inside a survival capsule while on the iceberg. "Survival capsules are sort of floating Kevlar saucers, four meters in diameter, which are used as lifeboats on oil platforms," he explained. "I will live in the capsule on the iceberg until it melts – which generally happens within eight months – or up to a maximum of one year."

"Then, I'll go adrift in the Atlantic Ocean, inside my capsule again, until I wash ashore." He plans to carry 300 kilos of dehydrated food and electronic equipment along with him. Although he is yet to pick the perfect iceberg to live on, he said it would most probably be broad and flat, about 60 by 20 meters.

Alex-Bellini-iceberg

Comments system

Disqus Shortname