Oddity Central

Oddity Central


Mysterious Lightning Storm Occurs in Exactly the Same Place 160 Nights a Year, Lasts up to 10 Hours a Night

Posted: 30 Jan 2014 05:23 AM PST

The world's greatest natural sound and light show occurs over the Catatumbo River in Venezuela, a 15 hour drive from Bogota, Columbia. For centuries, a storm unleashing over 40,000 bolts of lightning has ripped across the night sky at exactly the same spot over Lake Maracaibo. This has occurred repeatedly for as many as 160 nights a year, lasting up to 10 hours a night.

The people of northwestern Venezuela call the phenomenon 'rib a-ba', which means 'river of fire in the sky'. It is also known as 'Relámpago del Catatumbo', the 'everlasting storm'. It generates 1.2 million lightning strikes a year (the highest in the world), visible from almost 250 miles away. For centuries, the 'Beacon of Maracaibo' has guided sailors and fishermen at night. It is now a popular tourist attraction in the region.

Catatumbo-lightning

Chinese Woman Spends 11 Years Knitting Her Husband a Coat and Hat Out of Her Own Hair

Posted: 30 Jan 2014 04:28 AM PST

Xiang Renxian, a 60-year-old retired schoolteacher from Chongqing, China, has spent the last 11 years weaving a coat and a hat out of her own hair for her husband. She had started collecting strands of her hair as they naturally fell out since she was 34.

"Throughout my youth I was always famous for my wonderful long hair, and as I grew older I realized that, just like my looks, my hair was losing its luster," she said. "Many people envied my long, shiny black hair so I wanted to keep them, even the dropped threads."

For a long time, Xiang just collected her hair but had no idea what to do with it. It was only in 2003 that she decided to weave it into clothing. "I wanted to find a way to preserve that, and came up with the idea of using it to create something for my husband. It took a while to perfect the techniques, it was only when I was 49 that I started to work on this project. Once I got into the technique that I developed, it was actually not difficult to do, you just need patience and I knew that I had the time."

hair-clothes

The Barefoot Sensei – Former Marine Left Everything Behind to Live in the Forest, Barefoot

Posted: 30 Jan 2014 04:07 AM PST

Mick Dodge has spent the past 25 years away from civilization, living off the land in a rainforest. The former marine gave up his 9-to-5 job as a heavy equipment mechanic at Fort Lewis to take up this alternative lifestyle. "That's my real life passion," he says.

Dodge is actually a native of the Hoh Rainforest, located on the Olympic Peninsula in western Washington State. His great-grandparents settled in the region; Dodge grew up there and in several other places around the world. Eventually, thanks to his father's influence, he became an extreme fitness freak.

But the 62-year-old doesn't miss the gym in the outdoors. He has created a unique concept called the Earth Gym – a sort of YMCA in the forest with natural equipment. Dodge uses cargo nets, straps, stones and ropes to create a fitness regimen of his own. Students come to learn from him as well, and he teaches them exercises developed on a connection with nature. His extreme techniques include running barefoot upstream in the Sol Duc River.

Mick-Dodge4

Comments system

Disqus Shortname